NJC Printing wanted to take some time to learn a little more about our customers and share with you more about the services and opportunities these awesome businesses and non-profit organizations provide.
This month, we asked Maureen Powers, Executive Assistant – Human Resources, American Heart Association St. Louis to answer a few questions about this volunteer driven organization.
What is the Mission of AHA?
Building healthier lives, free of cardiovascular diseases and stroke.
What is the Impact Goal of AHA?
“By 2020, to improve the cardiovascular health of all Americans by 20 % while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 %.”
What is the History of AHA?
“Recognizing the need for a national organization to share research findings and promote further study, six cardiologists representing several groups founded the American Heart Association in 1924. One of the founding members was Hugh D. McCulloch of St. Louis. Since that day, the American Heart Association has grown to be the nation’s largest voluntary health organization with over 22.5 million volunteers and supporters nationwide.
Heart disease, stroke and other cardiovascular diseases are America’s No. 1 killer. They claim more lives than the next four causes of death combined. The American Heart Association has an extraordinary impact on your life by empowering you and your loved ones to save lives and enjoy more peace of mind about cardiovascular health.
Countless Americans owe their lives to the research we fund and to our medical guidelines, advocacy and educational programs. Now as volunteers and donors, they’re giving back, helping their neighbors – and future generations – live longer, healthier lives.
Improving Your Family’s Health
We make it easier for all families to live, eat and stay healthy by educating, encouraging behavior change and generating much-needed financial support.
• Go Red For Women® movement to fight heart disease, women’s #1 health threat
• Power To End Stroke® initiative to reduce African Americans’ high risk of stroke
• Jump Rope For Heart and Hoops For Heart programs for schools
• My Life Check and dozens of other online tools at americanheart.org
Making Your Community Healthier
We create healthier environments in schools, workplaces and other public places by improving policies and systems, and by raising funds.
• Start! walking programs, Start! Fit-Friendly company recognition, walking paths, Start! Heart Walks and workplace giving programs
• Training in CPR, advanced life support, AED (defibrillator) use and first aid
• Advocacy for smoke-free public restaurants and other places
• Nutrition initiatives (menu labeling, school meals, sodium and trans-fat reduction)
• Physical activity initiatives (PE in schools, walkable and bikeable communities)
Ensuring Quality Health Care for All
We help improve the healthcare system to ensure the best care for all patients. We coordinate, support and advocate for programs that improve patient access and care at hospitals, doctor’s offices and community health centers.
• Get With The Guidelines® program to help hospitals and physician practices treat heart disease and stroke patients according to proven guidelines
• Mission: Lifeline initiative to improve emergency care for heart attack victims
Helping End Heart Disease and Stroke in Our Lifetime
We save countless lives by supporting heart and stroke research.
• Heart Balls, planned gifts, memorial gifts and all other fund-raising efforts allow us to invest over $120 million a year in research nationwide (about 23% of total expenses).
• We also advocate for increased government funding for cardiovascular research.
• We translate research advances into practice by developing medical guidelines for healthcare providers, emergency personnel and the public, who learn about them through medical journals, conferences, online courses, media stories and researcher speaking engagements.
The $3.2 billion we’ve invested since 1949 has led to breakthroughs such as CPR; pacemakers; bypass surgery; heart defect repair; and blood pressure, cholesterol and clot-busting drugs. Seven researchers have won Nobel Prizes for work we’ve helped fund.
You Can Save Lives… by making healthy lifestyle choices, learning CPR, donating to support research and education, and volunteering through advocacy and at events that raise funds and promote wellness. You can help build healthier lives, free of cardiovascular disease and stroke!
Get Involved – Become an American Heart Association volunteer . As a volunteer-driven organization, the American Heart Association would not be able to accomplish its goals, fulfill its mission and make a difference in the health of our community without people like you. There are many volunteer opportunities. Your expertise, your ideas, and your enthusiasm are needed to implement the many programs and events the American Heart Association has available. We invite you to join us in fighting America’s number one and number three killers – heart disease and stroke.
Where to find us
We want to thank Maureen for taking the time to provide us with information on this wonderful organization and please visit their website and see how you and your community can help make a difference.
NJC Printing provides quality digital and offset printing to businesses in St. Louis, Missouri and throughout the midwest. Please visit our website at www.NJCPrint.com to learn more about us or to Request An Estimate.